M.V.P - most valuable player
1. LeBron James - F Cleveland Cavaliers - He has been unstoppable this year. If you would've asked me at the beginning of the year if the Cavaliers would be fighting for the NBA's best record I would've laughed. Don't get me wrong I expected them to be in the top 3 in the East, but didn't think they'd be so close to the Celtics.
GP: 30 - MIN: 36.4 - FG% .509 - 3PT% .281 - FT%.777 - STL 2.0 - BLOCKS 1.1 - REB 6.7 - AST 6.4 - PPG 27.5
2. Dwight Howard - F Orlando Magic - I love this guy. He's been playing with such intensity and has improved every aspect of his game. I think that summer trip to Beijing might have helped the young mans confidence. After all, he is Superman.
GP:29 - MIN 36.5 - FG% .547 - 3PT % .000 - FT%.565 - STL 0.9 - BLOCKS 3.7 - REB 13.8 - AST 1.4 - PPG 19.8
3. Chauncey Billups - G Denver Nuggets - Yes there are plenty of players in the league who have better numbers then Chauncey, but how many of those guys can say and be right that without him the team would be nowhere. The Nuggets were 1-3 before Chauncey arrived, since then they've gone 20-9. In the preseason the Nuggets were picked to either be the 8th seed or miss the playoffs entirely, now they're looking for home court advantage in the first round. HUGE change.
GP: 30 - MIN 35.3 - FG% .420 - 3PT% .399 - FT% .886 - STL 1.4 - BLK 0.2 - RPG 2.4 - AST 6.9 - PPG 17.6
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
1. O.J. Mayo - Grizzlies - This guys has been great and succeeded my expectations so far this year. I was never sold on Mayo going into the draft, his stats at USC were impressive but I thought there were a lot more players that were just as impressive last year. This year, new story, he easily wins this in my book. Rose is a great player and just as he is to the Bulls, Mayo is the Grizzlies.
2. Derrick Rose - Bulls - Rose is having a great year and would've been rookie of the year for me last year. But this is this year, SO FAR. The Bulls would be nowhere without him, but in my opinion the Grizzlies wouldn't have more then 2 wins without Mayo. Bulls would be a little more competitive then the Grizzlies would without Rose.
COACH OF THE YEAR
1. Mike Brown - Cavaliers - As I mentioned in my case for Lebron for MVP, same goes for Brown. I didn't expect them to be as competitive as they are atop the east. Expected 55 wins, they're on pace for way more then that. Though the addition of Williams at PG is a lot of the reason for the fast start, Brown must also be givin credit for great game management and for not burning out Lebron after he played in Beijing this summer.
2. George Karl - Nuggets - This may seem wrong to most of you, but who thought the Nuggets would be in the top half of the Western Conference this year. Karl has finally gotten this team to commit to playing defense and with a bang. Nuggets are in the top 10 in both defensive and offensive efficiency ratings. Transition D is still a concern but it's getting better.
Well that's it kids for my '08 mid season awards. Left out most improved player and 6th man of the year as for now I think it's too close to call. See you for the real mid season after most teams hit the 41game mark. Happy New Year!